Friday, January 27, 2012

Birth Story

My water broke Thursday, January 19 at 2:15 AM; this is something new for me... my water usually breaks after I've been in labor for a while. I was told by my midwife to come in to the birth birth center when the contractions are five minutes apart. So we waited at home, prayed, walked, did laundry etc.

Twelve hours later my contractions were still very inconsistent, they only came when I was walking and slowed down when I stopped. We decided to head to the birthing center so they can listen to the baby's heartbeat and make sure everything is alright. By 4:00 pm I had dilated only 3 cm with still inconstant contractions

I was looking forward to a natural birth at the Birth Center, not exactly how it all turned out. We tried EVERY natural way to bring on more contractions but nothing seemed to work.

When labor did not progress after 24 hours I was admitted at the hospital from the birth center and they started a Pitocin drip. The Pitocin did increase the contractions but the baby's heart rate dropped during contractions. So they stopped the Pitocin, and pumped fluids back to the womb, and tried Pitocin again. At this point his heart rate was dropping after the contractions.

WIth our midwife's advise we decided to go ahead with the C-Section, before things got more complicated. As much as I wanted another natural childbirth, we just wanted the baby to be safe.
It turned out his neck was bend (his ear was touching his shoulder) and he was stuck that way that's why my labor did not progress.

I really felt all the prayers of family and friends; I didn't "freak out" when C-section was recommend. I felt at peace and stayed calm thru the whole process.

I am praising God for a beautiful little baby boy; also for a wonderful husband who has been taking such good care of us. I feel very blessed for family that came to vista and help out and for the friends who have showered us with meals, gifts and overall being so supportive.



--Mallu Mom

No comments: