Saturday, September 18, 2010

Chicken Curry South Indian Style



2lbs chicken cut into chunks
1 lg potatoes cubed
1 med onion sliced ( I like red onions)
2 jalapeno Peppers (more if you like it spicier)
3 cloves of garlic chopped
1 tsp julienned ginger
10 curry leaves
4 tsp oil
2 tsp garam masala

½ tsp turmeric
¾ tsp cayenne pepper
3 tsp coriander powder
4 cardamom pods
1 large tomatoe or 1/2 cup tomato sauce
1 tsp salt or to your taste
1 cup coconut milk

· Heat oil in large pot
· Sauté onions, once they are starting to brown add garlic, ginger, pepper and curry leaves
· A minute later stir in all spices, stir well
· Add tomatoes, chicken and potatoes. Stir well
· Stir in salt and coconut milk
· Bring to a boil
· Cover and cook on med. Heat until potatoes are soft and the chicken is cooked.
· Stir occasionally
· Serve with hot rice.

3 comments:

Dawn said...

this sounds delicious! where do I get garam marsala?

Our Family said...

Dawn,
I make my own gram masals;it's a bled of several spices, roasted and ground up. You can also buy it at an Indian Grocer.

Sarah Oldham said...

Okay, but which spices? Thanks! I know my sister will ask me this and I won't know what to tell her. I copied and pasted via FB the recipe. I expect in a few days she's gonna ask. ;) Thanks for feeding me such yummy yum yums!!!!